A reader asks:

 Are there any New York State programs that will offer free treatment for a bipolar adult? He is just a little over the line for “Healthy New York,” but doesn’t make enough money to buy insurance, and his meds are very expensive. He will not be able to buy them and this is not good.


Patients can inquire about the sliding-scale Residents’ Clinic at Columbia University Medical Center by calling the referral line, 212-305-6001. If that program is not suitable, the patient will be given additional leads. There are also opportunities at the New York State Psychiatric Institute for participation without cost in bipolar depression research studies that provide excellent care. Again, call the referral line.