A reader asks:

Where in my area can I find help planning the schedule I need to treat delayed sleep phase syndrome once I get the lamps? What kind of doctor should I seek?


First things first. First, the doctor and the diagnosis. Then, determination of the most appropriate treatment strategy. Third, selection and purchase of the most appropriate lighting apparatus — if light therapy is indicated. The lighting regimen for treatment of delayed sleep phase syndrome must be individualized for each case. For the doctor, contact the Sleep Disorders Center or Sleep Clinic at your local university teaching hospital. Such clinics exist at most major medical centers in the U.S. If your doctor is inexperienced with light therapy for circadian rhythm sleep disorders, you might suggest that he or she consult the chapter on Light Therapy in the book, Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine.